ICRI Project: Wear Mapping
Description: A collaborative project aimed at developing universal wear maps that take account of the full range of operating and environmental conditions prevalent for the wheel/rail contact. These can be integrated with multi-body dynamics simulations tools for predicting wheel or rail profile evolution with wear or as a stand-alone tool for assessing particular case study sites. A strong focus is being placed on effects of third-body layers and generating data for a wider range of wheel and rail materials.
Status: Contact conditions have been gathered; a spreadsheet of available wear data has been created; recent work has generated wear coefficients for premium rail materials across a range of contact conditions; laser clad layers on rail have been investigated and are showing good wear and RCF resistance; hardness effects on wheel and rail wear have been assessed; a standard approach to carrying out and reporting on small-scale twin disc tests has been published (available here). Current work is focussing on full-scale tests on clad and premium rail materials to look at scaling effects. A new project has also been initiated to study fundamental aspects of wear between Virtual Vehicle Research and The University of Sheffield. This is aimed at developing a physical wear model based on actual damage mechanisms to improve on the current semi-empirical models. Another project is focussing on wheel and rail wear prediction using statistical approaches.
- Lu, P., Lewis, S.R., Fretwell-Smith, S., Engelberg, D.L., Fletcher, D.I., Lewis, R., 2019, “Laser Cladding of Rail; the Effects of Depositing Material on Lower Rail Grades”, Wear, Vol. 438-439, 203045.
- Christoforou, P., Fletcher, D.I., Lewis, R., 2019, “Benchmarking of Premium Rail Material Wear”, Wear, Vol. 436-437, 202990.
- Zhu, Y., Wang, W.J., Lewis, R., Yan, W., Lewis, S.R., Ding, H., 2019, “A Review on Wear between Railway Wheels and Rails under Environmental Conditions”, ASME Journal of Tribology, Vol. 141, No. 12.
- Lewis, R., Christoforou, P., Wang, W.J., Beagles, A., Burstow, M., Lewis, S.R., 2018, “Investigation of the Influence of Rail Hardness on the Wear of Rail and Wheel Materials Under Dry Conditions (ICRI Wear Mapping Project)”, Proceedings of CM2018, 11th International Conference on Contact Mechanics and Wear of Rail/Wheel Systems, Delft, The Netherlands, 24-26 September 2018.
- Christoforou, P., Lewis, S.R., Fletcher, D.I., Lewis, R., 2018, “Benchmarking of Premium Rail Material Wear”, Proceedings of CM2018, 11th International Conference on Contact Mechanics and Wear of Rail/Wheel Systems, Delft, The Netherlands, 24-26 September 2018.
- Wang, W.-J., Lewis, , Yang, B., Guo, L.C., Liu, Q.Y., Zhu, M.H., 2016, “Wear and Damage Transitions of Wheel and Rail Materials under Various Contact Conditions”, Wear, Vol. 362-363, pp146-152.
- Lewis, R., Magel, E., Wang, W.-J., Olofsson, U., Lewis, S.R., Slatter, T., Beagles, A., 2017, “Towards a Standard Approach for Wear Testing of Wheel and Rail Materials”, Journal of Rail and Rapid Transit, Proceedings of the IMechE, Part F, Vol 231, No. 7, pp760-774.